Fun isn't just for kids. Join Science Museum Oklahoma for SMO 21, an adults-only night at the museum!
SMO 21 is just for adults 21+. Every SMO 21 has a different theme, but SMO 21 will always include a cash bar, just-for-adults themed activities and experiences, access to the museum's permanent exhibits, and the museum's cafe.
SMO 21: Fermentation, Fungi, and Decomposition
6:30-10 p.m., Friday, Aug. 17 | 21+ only
$21 in advance / $25 on the day of
Museum cafe and full bar available. No outside food or drink, please.
Planning to purchase tickets at the door? Check here for updates regarding ticket availability. Tickets will not be available at the door if the event sells out in advance and there will be no ticket sales after 7:30 p.m. on the day of.
Brewing beer, the fun of fungi, and the surprising importance of decomposition are taking over SMO 21 in August!
- Sample and learn about the science behind fermented beverages and foods from COOP Ale Works, Big Oak Kombucha and Scissortail Provisions.
- Get a hands-on look at different mushrooms with Earthwise Mycology.
- Taste and learn about cheeses with Oklahoma's only American Cheese Society Certified Cheese Professionals, Heather McDown and Kehau Monteiro of Whole Foods Market.
- Try some take-home science – from swabbing your cell phone to see what's growing on the gadget to soil collection kits from the University of Oklahoma’s Natural Products Discovery Group Citizen Science Soil Collection Program (while supplies last!)
- See the process of brewing beer up close with long-time homebrewers and demystify the beer- and spirit-making process with hands-on experiences from The Brew Shop.
- Play a larger-than-life video game featuring some familiar mushrooms.
- Learn how goat waste can be used as fuel thanks to decomposition.
- Experience “Decomposition: Discovering the Beauty and Magnificence of Fungi” in SMO’s smART Space galleries.
- Plus, explore the full museum — all with no kids allowed!
At 8:30 p.m., sit down for a panel discussion about fungi and decomposition in modern and pop culture with a brewer; Ryan Baker, features programmer for deadCenter Film Festival; OU Regents’ Professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry Robert Cichewicz, Ph.D., principal investigator for OU’s Natural Products Discovery Group; and a funeral service professional.
All guests must be age 21 or older — a valid ID is required to enter. No refunds will be offered for those who misrepresent their age.
To purchase tickets over the phone, call Guest Relations at (405) 602-3768.