Science Museum Oklahoma Winter Camps Offer 'Cool' Fun in DecemberNovember 16, 2017
Oklahoma City metro children can get hands-on with ice cold science, geological wonders, chemistry, engineering and more during Science Museum Oklahoma’s winter break camps set for Dec. 21-22 and 27-29 at the museum located at 2020 Remington Place in Oklahoma City.
“Winter is a wonderful time to discover the cooler side of science – whether that means snow and ice or the science of hibernation, there is a lot to explore when the temperatures are low,” said Annie Bewley, museum educator for SMO.
“Winter break camps at Science Museum Oklahoma are a fun way for children to feed their curiosity while school is out for the holidays. We’re excited to offer several camp options for families, especially our half-day camp programs for our youngest scientists.”
Camps are available for children in pre-k through sixth grade. Dec. 21-22 two-day camps are:
- Let it Snow!, ages 4-5 (pre-K and kindergarten), 9 a.m. to noon, $45 for members, $50 for nonmembers: Brrrr, It’s cold out there! Children will find out why and experiment with ice, snow, and water to answer questions like how ice melts, how to make snow, and whether marshmallows make good snowballs.
- Precipitate & Hibernate, grades 1-3, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., $90 for members, $100 for nonmembers: Campers will explore the wild world of nature, why some animals hibernate in the winter and why some do not, and experiment with chilly weather and other winter curiosities.
- Gold Rush, grades 4-6, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., $90 for members, $100 for nonmembers: Campers will explore the geological wonders of mining, panning, and excavation, break into geodes, create crystals, and build an excavation site.
Dec. 27-29 three-day camps are:
- Oh, My Senses!, ages 4-5 (pre-K and kindergarten), 9 a.m. to noon, $70 for members, $75 for nonmembers: Children will develop a taste for science as they explore the five senses using color, texture, sound and more.
- Mix It, Build It, Throw It!, Grades 1-3, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., $135 for members, $150 for nonmembers: Campers will delve into three awesome branches of science as they get messy with chemistry, construct creations with engineering, and solve problems with physics.
- Camp Chemistry, Grades 4-6, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., $135 for members, $150 for nonmembers: Explore the smelly, the slimy, and the up-in-flames. Campers will investigate, concoct, and digest with chemistry, explore acids and bases, implosions, explosions and other things that are chemically cool and hot.
Advance registration is required. Registration will close one week before each camp session or when full. Camps are limited to 15 children per session. All activities take place at the museum located at 2020 Remington Place in Oklahoma City.
For more information about Science Museum Oklahoma or to register for a camp, visit www.sciencemuseumok.org/winter-camps or call 405-602-3760.